Step 1: Do I meet the criteria to apply?
Applicants must meet the criteria below in order to consider applying for the apprenticeship program. Applicants who meet all of the criteria below may move on to Step 2.
- Applicants must be at least 17 years old.
- Applicants must be a high school graduate or have successfully passed the GED.
- Applicants must be physically fit to perform the work of the trade.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license as well as provide their own transportation to class and to the employer’s place of business and/or work site.
- Applicants cannot have a felony conviction in their background.
- Applicants must successfully pass a drug screening.
Step 2: Submitting your application!
Interested applicants must complete the Central PA IEC Application using the application link provided on our website about 6 weeks ahead of each open enrollment period and located in our How to Apply tab when available. Once the applicant has reviewed the completed application, the applicant must submit the completed application, submit all application materials, and pay the application fee. All applications will be reviewed by the Central PA IEC administrative staff.
Application materials include at minimum:
- Copy of a birth certificate, driver’s license, and social security card
- Copy of the High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Copy of transcripts of last grade completed from High School Guidance Department and other school(s) attended (i.e., Vo-Tech, CTC, technical school, community college)
- Proof of electrical trade work experience, if any (i.e., letter from employer noting experience)
- Form DD214 for veterans applying. Other forms may be needed.
- (3) Letters of Reference from acquaintances or employers, other than family
Step 3: Moving forward!
Upon review by the Central PA IEC staff, some application materials are distributed to our contractor members ahead of the interview process. The interview process includes contractor members who are interested in potentially hiring qualifying applicants. Those applicants that qualify for the program as a result of the ranking process will be offered a full-time position with an IEC member company and will be registered as an apprentice with both the state and US Dept. of Labor.